At HTP we are all about saving energy and heating efficiently! We specialize in high efficiency heating systems. I came across this blog post: "How To: Save Energy At Home" and thought it would be perfect to share!
Let’s list some good bets for greening your routine:
- Switch to Fluorescent Lighting: Energy-saving fluorescent lighting has come a long way. There’s a fluorescent bulb to fit almost any fixture inside and outside your home, and they’re a good bet for lights that are used a lot because they last 10 times longer. If we all switched out 5 standard light bulbs for fluorescents, it would be like taking a million cars off the road for a year.
- Lower Your Thermostat: Put on a sweater, set your thermostat just two degrees lower in winter and cut your carbon emissions by 9 percent.
- Program Your Thermostat: A programmable thermostat is a great energy saver, automatically lowering your heat when you’re at work or asleep.
- Insulate Your Water Heater: Wrap your electric water heater in an insulation blanket and set it at 120 degrees.
- Replace Your Water Heater: If it’s time to replace your water heater, install a tankless unit for an endless supply of hot water at 40 percent savings over conventional tanks.
- Use Full Machines Only: Wash dishes and clothes only when the machines are full.
- Buy Energy-Efficient Appliances: When you buy an appliance, make sure it’s Energy Star certified.
- Use Green Power: Run it all with green power: Ask your utility company about buying your electricity from renewable sources, or visit the U.S. Department of Energy’s green power Web site
(Chart from Energy Star website)